I have over 24 years’ experience writing and editing for online and print media as a staff reporter of Japan’s leading news agency. In the recent 15 years I have been focusing on political news, covering the prime ministers and his cabinet, the ruling and the opposition parties, the parliament, and other key issues in domestic and international affairs. A consistently dependable team player as well as working independently, I thrive in a high-pressure environment and am comfortable interviewing, researching, analyzing, writing, and editing on a wide range of topics. I am highly energetic, enthusiastic and enjoy mixing with people from different culture and social background.
Nov 2020 – present Independent Journalist
Jan 2019 – Sep 2019 Visiting Fellow(Professional Associate)
Columbia University(Weatherhead East Asian Institute)
“The diversity of career development in the U.S.”
Apr1996 – Nov 2020 KYODO NEWS (http://www.kyodonews.jp) Tokyo, Japan
- May 2005 – Nov 2020 Staff reporter, Political News Section, Head office, Tokyo
Have been serving as a political news reporter, interviewing, writing and editing articles to distribute to major and local newspapers all over Japan, broadcast stations including NHK, the Internet news sites, and international wire services.
I took leave of absence to accompany my wife who got transferred to the U.S.A. in December 2017. I used to be a stay-at-home dad there. While living in the U.S., I had some serialization of columns about my experience for online and print media of Japan.
Covered various political and diplomatic issues as listed below:
- The prime minister’s office (Junichiro Koizumi, Shinzo Abe, and Yoshihiko Noda)
- The Liberal Democratic Party
- The Democratic Party of Japan
- The Japanese Parliament
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan(mainly Japan-U.S. relations, including the Okinawa base issue and the Osprey deployment.)
- General elections of Lower House & Upper House
- International Conferences: Japan-U.S. Summit, UN General Assembly, APEC(Asia-pacific Economic Cooperation Conference), ASEAN(Association of Southeast Asian Nations), and G20(Group of Twenty) meetings
- Accompanying diplomatic travels of Prime Ministers and Foreign Ministers to various countries including U.S., U.K., France, Russia, China, South Korea, Vietnam, India, Indonesia, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, and Uzbekistan
IVLP(International Visitors Leadership Program) sponsored by the State Department
I took part in IVLP in May 2015. US Embassy in Japan recommended me to go to and visit the US for three weeks. Its experience has been so useful for my career.
- Apr 2000 – Apr 2005 Staff reporter, Shizuoka bureau
- Apr 1998 – Mar 2000 Staff reporter, Fukuoka bureau
- Apr 1996 – Mar 1998 Staff reporter, Kumamoto bureau
Served as a staff reporter in Kumamoto, Fukuoka, and Shizuoka bureau covering multiple topics including local current affairs, crime, car accidents, sports, employment, education, the economy and culture. Covered a variety of spot news stories on deadline and took photographs to accompany articles when no staff photographer was present.
Japan National Press Club (Journalist Seminar)
“Inoki-do”(Kawade Shobo Shinsya Apr 24th 2021)
Hosei Graduate School of Regional Policy Design (Apr 2021 – present)
Keio-University, Japan (Apr 1992 – Mar 1996)
– Bachelor of Business and Commerce (Focus: Management and Marketing)